Monday, May 16, 2011

So....What's New

It's been a while since I posted anything.  I guess it has been fairly busy.  Just starting to get into the spring and summer activities.  Nicole is playing soccer two nights a week and work has been steady.  A few other activites seem to be filling up the time as well.  Russell is still a little terror.  It is nice to see the kids running around the yard.  They are both really enjoying the weather and are spending a lot of time outside.

Last week was a tough week.  Since September we have been getting a daily report about a friend of ours from  the Stollery.  A young lady who had a transplant about 10 years ago.  We met her parents when Russell was in hospital and her Dad and I have been exchanging e-mails over the last year.  The last few months have had some big ups and downs.  Since she went into the hospital in the fall we have received a short update every day; like clockwork.  Last Wednesday morning there was no update.  I didn't think about it at the time but about noon i checked my e-mail again and there was a very short message indicated she had passed away.  Two things come to mind in that situation.  The obvious sadness but also relief that she doesn't have to endure what must have been a horrendous ordeal.  This is a girl we barely knew but we felt a real attachment to as a fellow transplant family.

When I was writing out care page I felt that my task was to report what was happenning with Russell and then later on, Susan.  I didn't talk a lot about the people we met or their experiences.  Some of the things we saw and experienced with other families were horrible and amazing.  I can't underestimate how important it was for us to be aware of what was going on around us.  Not to distract us but to learn and get a better understanding of our own situation.  I can't tell you how many times Susan and I would talk and say to ourselves "I am glad we aren't in their shoes." 

I made a comment to someone that we have some high maintenance friends.  Yes we do; but they are some amazing friends.  We have another little friend (another transplant kid) at the Stollery right now...hope she can pull off another miracle (she's done it before).  When you know about these situations it is easy to be fearful about what may be in store for Russell.  If there is one lesson we have learned through this whole process is that every kid makes there own way and are unique.  What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.  There is no predicting what will happen.  Most of our transplant friends and many others are kids who have already beaten the odds in one way or the other.  Our journey is life-long and we just have to be prepared for both the good and bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment