Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Opportunities

After last weeks detour into "Hospital World" we have had Sunday to rest.  We attended the church of the "Sleepy Pillow."  Then Monday came and it was back at it...back to work for both Susan and I.  I did take Russell for blood work Monday morning so I was a little late for week.  My goal for the week was only one trip to the hospital this week.  Looks like we might actually achieve that goal.  Susan works part-time so she worked Mon & Tues and has the rest of the week off.  Next week we get back to the insanity, when Russell has an appointment on Tuesday for a 24 hr Holter monitor and blood work again.  I am leaving for Ottawa on the 23rd for the balance of the week.   So we are still in "busy" mode.

On Feb 28th I have my first meeting with the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba.  I am really looking forward to this.  I have been appointed to the Education Committee as a public representative.  I am sure I will learn lots and it is an opportunity to give back to the profession that has given us so much.  I am really enjoying the opportunities that some of our experiences with Russell has granted us.  I strongly believe that both Susan and I have been given opportunities to share our experiences and to attempt to make a positive impact on the medical system or help amilies who may be going through similar situation as us. 

When I have spoken about our experiences with the medical system i have tried to be positive.  We have encountered some of the most amazing people, who are extremely skilled at what they do.  What I have not emphasized is some of the negative experiences and frustrations we have dealt with.  Part of the reason we have gotten involved; is that we have chosen to help try to solve some of the problems...and there are many.  We have been reminded in this past month during our two hospital stays just how much things need to improve.  I am very proud of some of the progress we have made in making some in-roads into the medical system and I have been very surprised how much support we have from medical practitioners.  I am hoping to share a few things in the next couple of months about some of the projects I have been working on and hope they materialize.  For now...there is still a lot of work that needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment